As we know that journaling is a helpful way to express your thoughts and feelings and to connect with them. Writing these in a diary or journal helps you keep a record of them. Also, it lightens the load on your heart and mind. What about a gratitude journal?
When journaling comes together with gratitude, literally magic can happen in your life. Therefore, I will guide you about all the details of gratitude journaling.
Welcome to the magical world of gratitude. Shall we?
What is a gratitude journal?
It is a way of appreciating the blessings you have by recording them on paper or phone. It is a powerful technique of practicing and incorporating gratitude in your lives. In short, a gratitude journal is a diary where you write about anything you are grateful for.
How to start a gratitude journal?
- Choose a decent diary or journal for the task. You can use your smartphone as well.
- Fix a time to write in the journal.
- Be regular in writing about the things you are grateful for. Follow the drill daily.
- Remind yourself multiple times about its benefits. It will encourage you to start the journal and continue it.
How to write in a gratitude journal?
I am sharing with you some tips on how to write in a journal. You can take cues from these. So, enjoy!
- Start with three things that you want to pay gratitude for. Starting small will bring the consistency which is needed here to practice gratitude.
- Write some details with each thing you mention. Do not write only the name of the things. For example, “I am thankful for the job I have because it makes me a useful person. It allows me to show my expertise and talent.”
- Start developing a depth in your thinking. Enhance your way to identify every blessing and not just the material things.
- Think about the people who are a blessing to you.
- Think about the places that make you feel good and fresh.
- Write about how you are thankful to yourself. Mention your positive things, talents, and abilities.
- Think always something new. Try not to be repetitive.
Benefits of gratitude journal
- It makes you mindful of the blessings you have.
- Brings you positivity and keeps your focus on positive things.
- Helps you keep a record of your blessings.
- It increases your self-esteem. You are content with what you have and do not think about what others have or have more than you.
- Brings you happiness and satisfaction.
- Decreases stress in your life.
- It makes you feel light and gives you a good sleep.
Gratitude journal prompts
Prompts are the quick topics to be used to write. They will make your writing quick and easy. Some examples are:
- Think about a big childhood achievement and convert it into a tale.
- Remember a fine visit to a place and write about it in detail focusing on every detail.
- Write about 5 things you are grateful for today.
- Explain what are those 2 things that make your soul happy when you are doing them.
- Write about something you did to make someone happy today this last week.
- Describe your favorite moment of the day.
- Explain 1 thing that makes you laugh or at least smile today.
- Write about something someone else did to make you happy this last month.
- Think about those things that make you consider you are lucky in this life and write them.
- Write 5 good things per each member of your family.
- Write 10 things that make you unique and you.
Gratitude journal types
Bullet gratitude journals
As written on Wikipedia;
“A bullet journal (sometimes known as a BuJo) is a method of personal organization developed by designer Ryder Carroll. The name “bullet journal” comes from the use of abbreviated bullet points to log information, but it also partially comes from the use of dot journals, which are gridded using dots rather than lines. First shared with the public in 2013, it has become a popular method, garnering significant attention on Kickstarter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Pinterest.”
When you use bullet journals for gratitude then you have bullet gratitude journals. Logical, right?
Below some inspiration about bullet journals. Look how beautiful and creative they are!
Bullet gratitude journals #1: Gratitude tree
Bullet gratitude journals #2: Winter mood
Bullet gratitude journals #3: Colorful space
Bullet gratitude journals #4: One line a day
Bullet gratitude journals #5: Gratitude log
5-minute gratitude journal
A 5-minute gratitude journal is a powerful tool to empower and boost your day. It gives you a peaceful night as well. All you have to do is to take 5 minutes from your schedule in the morning and the night. Ponder upon in these 5 minutes about the things that can positively affect you. For instance, for the morning practice, assign the 5 minutes for some questions.
The company Intelligent Change provides a 5-minute gratitude journal. Here is how they explain their journals:
“The simplest way to start your day happy: Using the science of positive psychology to improve happiness, The Five Minute Journal focuses your attention on the good in your life. Improve your mental well-being and feel better every day.
Complain less, appreciate more: The Five Minute Journal helps you cultivate gratitude. It changes how you feel, alters the actions you take, and therefore the results you will create…negativity be gone!”
3-minute gratitude journal
It is specially designed for children to cultivate gratitude in them. Beautifully crafted journal for children to record about three things they are thankful for. It will bring positivity to their lives and teach them to value their blessings.
The company Modern Kid Press has a 3-minute gratitude journal for kids. Here is how they explain it:
“The 3 Minute Gratitude Journal is a guide to cultivate an attitude of gratitude for children. It is a self-exploration journal designed to focus on being thankful for what we have, the big things in life, as well as the simple joys.”
Gratitude journal examples
It is human nature to get inspired by strong people and tend to learn from them. Therefore, I have brought for you an example from Oprah. It seems like Oprah is writing a gratitude journal for more than 20 years, every day, 5 words! From fresh flowers to the kindness of a stranger, Oprah says acknowledging these things made her more receptive to the goodness in her life.
Look at her video in 2017, reading from her gratitude journal.
Gratitude journal apps
You can keep the gratitude journal digitally too. There are many apps out there, mostly quiet simple ones, which make it possible to enter your daily gratitude and that is it.
Some have more information; some have challenges, and some have community. Many of them are free versions.
See below different apps.
#1: Gratitude: journal, affirmations, and vision board
Very simple app. It guides you to enter what you are grateful for and why. It also has different gratitude challenge possibilities.
Another simple and free app. You have a calendar option and able to enter what you are grateful for and then see it easily.
#3: 365 gratitude journal
Nice app. It is also free. A lama called joy welcomes you and greets herself as your happiness coach. The user experience design is more interactive and there is more information about gratitude compared to other apps.
Another simple and free app. You can enter your gratitude and then see them. It serves what you need.
Another free app facilitating you to enter your daily gratitudes. There are some other categories if you would like to explore, such as 3 daily gratitudes, honoring people, etc.
#6: 5 Minute journal app
The company Intelligent Change which is the creator of the 5 Minute gratitude journals above has an app called the 5-minute journal app.
It costs 4.99 EUR.
Check the detail in the video below:
Gratitude journal online
You can start your gratitude journal online too. Here is a link where you can do that. All you must do is make a profile and get started. Happy gratitude journaling to you!
You already know that connection to yourself and life is not a theory but a path of practice.
If you would like to invite the magic of gratitude to your life, just spend 5 minutes of your day and see the magic comes. Not theory but practice. I promise you, it will worth it.
These articles below can be also interesting for you:
16 Gratitude Exercise to Invite Daily Gratitude to Your Life
Below is a Pinterest-friendly photo…. so you can pin it to your Gratitude Board!